Friday, May 6, 2011

GEMS Mother's Day craft

I want to share a craft we made at GEMS  girls' club tonight. GEMS is an international Christian program for girls age 7-12. I liken it to Brownies and Girl Guides, with a Christian perspective brought into play. Since my co-facilitator had the big resource book with all the badge ideas, devotionals, and lesson plans (which was my fault, I forgot to ask to borrow it!) , I used  my favorite source: Google. (key words "Mother's Day craft" and "Sunday School." The quotations marks help; I don't think the capitals matter). I decided to do a Mother's Day project, because, well, it was an obvious choice and I was too lazy to think of anything else, especially since I needed to link it to a Bible verse. We did a craft based on Ephesians 5:1-2.

After we talked about the verses, we made paper flowers with pipe cleaner stems. On each petal the girls wrote one way they would 'walk in love' and be a 'fragrant offering to their moms' or they wrote how their moms did that (i.e. things they love about their moms).  Some girls used a template to trace their flower petals and some made them free hand.

Some girls made their flower petals with all cardstock:

Some used patterned paper:


A couple of girls mounted their flowers on to another piece of cardstock, treating the flowers as part of a Mother's Day card.

If you'd like the full instructions for this lesson you can find it here. Note that despite what it says on the webpage, they do not give you a flower template. At least, if they did, I couldn't find it and it seems other users couldn't either. So I did a separate search for that, which I will leave for you to do on  your own, as each leader will have their own preferences for the style of flower they like.

2 comments:

Becky said...

This is so cute.

The Mama Monkey said...

This is darling! What a fun craft!